MB Mercedes Oil Specifications
The name of the MB specifications derives from the Mercedes Bluebook scheme, divided by numbered paragraphs and pages. It is used by dealers to identify the products certified by the manufacturer and their correct application on the engines.
- MB 229.1
- For petrol and diesel engines. Minimum quality required ACEA A2/B2 with additional limits on engine.
- MB 229.3
- For petrol and diesel engines. Minimum quality required ACEA A3 / B3 / B4 and MB 229.1. It can only certify 0/ 5 W-x oils.
- MB 229.31
- Multigrade, low SPAsh engine oil, advised for both diesel and petrol engines of Mercedes Benz, Smart and Chrysler. Only low viscosity engine oils which can realize a 1,0% saving on used fuel in the M111 Fuel economy test (CEC L-54-T-96) can get this approval. In this test the fuel savings are compared to the performance of the Reference oil RL 191 (SAE 15W-40).
- MB 229.5
- MB sheet for energy conserving oils for certain car and van engines. Approved oils must meet ACEA A3, B3 and B4 specification and some additional demands by Daimler Chrysler AG. Oil must be on the approval list.
- MB 229.51
- Low SAPS Long Life engine oil for diesel engines with particle filter meeting emission EU-4 -> standards.
- MB 229.52
- Oils meeting this specifications must have lower ash content, at least 1% better fuel economy compared to the requirements of MB 229.31 and MB 229.51 and better oxidation stability for biofuel compatibility. Can also be used where an MB 229.31 or an MB 229.51 oil is required. Just like MB 229.5 and MB 229.51 this spec requires a long life oil.